Thursday, July 19, 2012

Write Thank you Notes

The thing that are easy to do are also the things that are easy not to do. The more the pace of our lives speeds up, the greater the impact the simple gestures of life will have on those most deserving of them. And near the very top of my list of simple gestures that have profound consequences is the lost art of writing thank you notes.

Everyone loves getting mail - it's a fact of human nature. We all have a deep-seated need to feel important. I truly love receiving letters from people who have read my articles and used the lessons within them to make positive changes in their lives. Few things exciting me as much as receiving a bag full of mail from men and women who have attended one of my lectures and seen their careers take off and their personal lives improve. And knowing how much joy I feel when I receive mail from others, I try my best to respond to every letter that comes across my desk with a thank-you note of my own.

Even in the case of the people I deal with on a daily basis - executives calling to book me for a speaking engagement, people who attended my personal coaching programs, members of the media requesting an interview and businesspeople calling me with new opportunities - I try to follow up on every encounter with a sincerely written thank you note. Sure, it takes time. Sure, there might be pressing things on my agenda. But few acts have the power to build and cement relationships like a heartfelt letter of thanks. It shows you care and that you are considerate and human. So this week, go out and buy a package of the blank thank-you cards that are now available in bulk at your local office supply warehouse and start writing. You - and all people that you deal with - will be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment